Background and Purpose of National Skills Registry (NSR)
The Indian IT and BPO industry has seen dramatic growth and evolution over the last 10 years and there is little hesitation from the outsourcers to look at India as a preferred destination for outsourcing. Today, the Indian IT and BPO are increasingly viewed as trusted partners that have a growing role in global customer’s business strategy. This trend has resulted in Indian IT industry becoming an extension of customers’ processes, IT systems, network and their business.
The rewards of a close partnership are accompanied by a responsibility to safeguard global customer’s business interest and to ensure that the trust placed in our services does not introduce any additional risk to the customer’s business, data or reputation. The need therefore is to project India as a safe and secured destination for IT & BPO outsourcing. Information security is no more a mere legal requirement but it is fast becoming a factor for companies to compete on and grow businesses. A “secure and reliable” environment—defined by strong copyright, IT and cyber laws—is an imperative for the growth and future success of the IT services and BPO industry players.
NASSCOM along with Indian IT&BPO industry has been proactive in pushing this cause and ensuring that the Indian Information Security environment benchmarks with the best across the globe. The IT services and BPO players in India are taking as many precautions as possible to ensure that data and personal information of their customers is protected. That means following international best practices, getting procedures audited by independent parties and making sure that these procedures are up to date and are being closely followed.
Information Security Environment in India and National Skills Registry
While most Indian IT services and BPO firms are recognized for high quality processes and services special focus has been given to the protection of customer data. One of the frequent concerns expressed by global customer’s are the absence of a consistent mechanism that can be used to accurately and uniquely identify an individual, which is a serious impediment in determining the reliability of an Indian IT professional. This concern has become even more critical, as India as a country, doesn’t have any unique identification number (like US Social Security number) assigned to every citizen.
The purpose of NSR therefore is to create a consistent means of uniquely identifying the IT professionals, allowing the Indian IT industry players and customers to conduct business in a very effective and confident this enhancing the profile and competitiveness of the Indian IT industry. NSR will also help IT companies to reduce cost on hiring and most importantly will evolve a standardized process for the industry.
Team behind and Eco system partners of NSR
There are six important stakeholders and team behind the success of NSR:
- Employee-KP – Knowledge Professional. NSR system basically hosts the factual information about the KP.
- Employers – They are either the current employer or the prospective employer accessing the system through Digital signature certificates
- POS – Point of service vendors who are responsible for checking the KYC documents and scanning of the photographs and the fingerprints.
- EBC – Empanelled Background checkers. These are the verification partners shortlisted by NSR based on selection criteria and compliance checks by the NSR team.
- NDML- Most important stake holder. NDML provides the hosting of the data.
- Steering committee members of NSR
The above stake holders have looked at NSR being beyond their commercial interest and with the objective of making India as a safe and secured destination for IT & BPO outsourcing.
In order to ensure that the IT and BPO industry is always ahead of the curve wrt to information security requirements across the globe and Industry’s needs, the following governance structure has been formed for NSR
- NASSCOM role as a promoter NSR to all its stakeholders
- A steering committee comprising of NASSCOM, NDML( a subsidiary of NSDL and owner of the repository of the data and information),Representatives of the IT&BPO companies Operational committee comprising of steering committee members and select members from Back ground verification companies
- Monitoring Committee (subscriber interest)
- Individual interest – who will listen/ represent them – it will help get inputs from IT professional
The process also involves periodic audit of the processes of the existing empanelled vendors for EBC, POS etc.
Membership profile of NSR
118 of the IT & BPO companies present in India are already members of NSR. Web registration for IT professional has been completed for over 1.1 Mn IT work forces. Bio metric registration has been completed for over 0.73 Million IT professionals. Total numbers of Employee Background Checking Companies are 17 and NSR today has 126 POS deployed across various IT centric locations.
NSR implementation is in various stages of implementation in several IT companies and is expected to scale to larger companies in the current year.NSR system is now being used extensively by non IT and BPO sector as well. A special project is underway in the IT & BPO industry to strengthen the NSR system and leveraging the same to reduce the incidence of potential recruitment frauds in the sector. Technology Infrastructure to support the NSR process
A centralized technological infrastructure is established at National Data Management Limited (NDML)- a subsidiary of National Securities Depositories Limited (NSDL) – that provides for a robust infrastructure with multiple layers of security, dedicated servers, authentication process, a sophisticated finger print based bio metric profiling system to provide for on line registration, hosting of the NSR data, log trail of people accessing the system, uploading of Background verification reports of the employee, qualification and self audit process for EBCs amongst other features.
NSR process- Approvals and Access Management
- The profile of the knowledge professional is controlled by the candidate himself in all aspect.
- Every profile gets created post de-duplication through biometrics.
- Profile of the candidate once created can never be deleted thus ensuring one profile for every knowledge professional.
- Every access to the non employee profile is controlled and given by the individual.
- The profile of the candidate can be accessed by the organisation through digital signature certificates issued by NDML.
- Maker and checker mechanism inbuilt in the system for the background checking companies while updating the background data for the profile.
- Any downloading of data by the organisation required an authorization by the admin user in the company.