Som Mittal held the position of President, NASSCOM from 2008-13 and steered the industry through one of its most challenging phases. Som played a key role in shaping the industry and NASSCOM through multiple initiatives that included:
- Som led the public advocacy efforts globally and was able to overcome protectionism issues in US, UK, EU, Canada, Australia among others. Consistently reiterating commitment to free trade, Som took a strong stance against perils of protectionist policies, demonstrating how Indian companies are contributing to local economies and at the same time ensuring policies in India follow the same principle.
- As a member of Indo US and Indo EU ICT strategic dialogues, Som worked on many key initiatives including conclusion of several social security agreements.
- Som focused on the key need to build the domestic market in the country and demonstrate how technology can help Indian corporate, SMBs and the government. As active member of PM committee for e-governance, he furthered the program by creating a very active portal eGovreach.in, conducted workshops across the country to align the states and district personnel to National eGov Program.
- Som helped to create the Data Security Council of India (DSCI) – a focused institution with the key objective of enabling global practices on data security and privacy. The organization has now 8 cyber labs across states operating in State police academies and has trained over 40,000 officers on cyber forensics.
- Som helped to enhance the policy partnership with the government at the centre and the state by working on key committees, providing white papers and ensuring an unbiased industry perspective is shared. He chaired the working group for the 12th Five Plan year plan for the Software sector and is part of all key committees related to the sector.
- Som helped to set up the IT ITES Sector Skill Council that has now developed extensive Occupational Standards for the first time in India and introduced many programs to enhance skill building and employability.
- Initiated the National Digital Literacy Mission to cover at least one family member per household. The project has been very successful and now is being scaled in collaboration with DEiTY. This would be a big game changer in making digital inclusion happen in the country.
- Som focused on launching a major initiative to promote development of products and IP in India. The 10,000 startups program launched in March 2013 aims to evangelise, incubate and mentor 10,000 startups over the next 10 years.
- Building trust, deep relationships is a key strength for Som that has enabled him to build partnerships with several organizations within India and created a strong Industry - government cooperation to achieve national objectives
Som has received the following recognitions:
- Awarded Distinguished Alumni Award by IIT Kanpur
- Paul Harris Fellow by Rotary International
- Fellow of Computer Society of India
- Business Leader of the Year by Rotary International
- Lifetime achievement award for outstanding dedication to the growth of the Global ICT industry and Leadership of WITSA
Prior to NASSCOM, Som has held corporate leadership roles in the IT industry since 1989 at companies such as Wipro, Digital India, Compaq and HP. He also has extensive experience in the engineering, manufacturing and automotive industries, having held executive roles with Larsen & Toubro, Escorts and Denso.
He has been a member of body constituted under the Chairpersonship of Hon’ble Prime Minister to implement National e-Governance Plan (NeGP). He was also a member of National Integration Council chaired by Hon’ble Prime Minister and has been an active member on Chief Ministers IT Task Force in Karnataka.
He is on the Governing Board of several educational institutions including IIIT at Bangalore, Delhi and Hyderabad. He is also a Board member of Axis Bank and EXL Service Holdings, Inc.
He holds a B.Tech from IIT Kanpur and an MBA from IIM Ahmedabad.